December 22, 2009

Visas suck!

The title says it all, but I'll reiterate just for the emphasis - VISAS SUCK. Russia decided to change one of the visa laws/actually pay attention to it, and that means that I can't get the visa I was supposed to. I came here on a single entry visa that was supposed to be changed to a multi entry 1 year visa upon my arrival - sounds good, right? Well, the law basically got rid of the type of work visa I have, meaning it can't get changed now.

So, I'm in Russia until January 16, when my current visa expires. Then I'm back in the US for two weeks to get a new visa. The thing that really sucks is that all I can get now is a 3 month business visa... so in 3 months I have to leave Russia again to get a new visa! There are no other options, as the multi entry business visa only allows you to stay in the country for 90 out of every 180 days. I miss the gold old days of true 1 year multi entry visas :(

I don't have to go back to America to get my visa, but it's the easiest option. I could go to Ukraine, or another non-EU country, but between the tickets, hotel, and food costs, it would probably cost me close to what it's costing me to fly home to America! Plus, what would I do by myself for two weeks in Ukraine?

It's not all bad, really. I was planning to go back to America in March or April anyway, so it's just a bit earlier now. This way I can bring stuff back with me that I already have, rather than buying it new here (for a lot more money!). Also, some of the things I was going to buy here either aren't available, or cost a lot more than I was expecting - so I'll be buying those and bringing them back with me too! I am going to take full advantage of my 100lbs of luggage :D

I guess my biggest problem is the time frame - I have two weeks off (Dec 31-Jan11), then I work for a week, then I leave for two weeks again. I won't need a vacation after only one week of work! I could fly home sooner, but I want to be in Russia for New Years, and the flights are hellishly expensive for that time frame. Also, I might as well stay as long as possible to make the most use out of my precious visa!

7 comments:

SeaAle said...

Russian visas DO suck the big one. I faced a similar situation last year (until the government decided not to grant me a work permit at which point I had to leave upon visa expiration). I hate this expression, but I do feel your pain.

jake said...

That SUCKS!!!! Can you just get a visitor visa from a friend or something so you can stay? Send your passport to America to have a new work visa put into it? :)

That sucks though. SORRY. Russia was always very strict with their visas whenever I applied. Ukraine treated me better I must say... I would apply for a 1 year multiple entry visa and they gave me a 10 year visa! But now I dont even need a visa to go to Ukraine.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Years! All the best! -Dave@1916home

Les Barr said...

Sorry about your Visa trouble. Tell me, which place do you like better, the good ole' USA or being in Russia? From what I read by you, Russia does have things there that are similar here, but just not the same thing. Since I've never been to Russia, and probably never will be I've always wondered what it is like to live in a Country that we almost went to War with.

Keep up your good Posts. I'll be watching.

Les

GMG said...

Hi Ashira! Awful news...

Blogtrotter misses you at the British Museum! Enjoy and have a great holiday season!

Bonzo said...

This info has been know and can be easily found on the internet, the Russian visa laws changed in 2008. You really have nobody but yourself to blame for this, I mean really, all you had to do to find these new changes was look, this info is all over the internet. I've mentioned it even on my blog myself. After living here six years and traveling as much as I do, I learned a long time ago that I have to find out these things FIRST, then plan my trip out accordingly. Yes, Russian visas are a big pain, but your the one that screwed up. I'm sorry things turned out this way for you this way. I thought you were working with a school, why have they not taken care of this?

Bonzo said...

Plus, the new visa law states that you have to return to your country of residence, where the visa was issued to get it renewed, unless they have changed the law again. Plus, business visas only allow you to stay in Russia for a total of six months at two two month stays, stay for three months, return home for three months and comeback for three months for a total of 6 months, unless they have changed something again, you no longer can go to a bordering country to get your visa renewed. I can not believe you actually did not know this. Live and learn.

Alida Sharp said...

sorry to hear that you are having to leave so soon...hopefully it will all get worked out and you will be back here in Russia before you know it!!