March 10, 2010

Yup, it's still winter...

Today's weather was really strange, and just proved to be a reminder that yes, it is still winter here in Moscow. While it started out beautiful and sunny, it ended up snowing! No accumulation other than a dusting, but still, it was snowing!

The weather right now seems to be a bit of a tease. About a week and a half ago, we had our first day above freezing since December (or perhaps November?)... it's been cold for so long that I just can't remember! It was wonderful and sunny, and some of the snow started to melt. That's fun, let me tell you... There are puddles everywhere, and half the time you have to tiptoe your way down the street to try to find the relatively dry patches, or in some cases, the shallowest puddles! Fast forward a few days, and we're back to temperatures well below freezing, in the -12C/+11F to -6C/+20F range. Guess what those puddles turned into?

The worst part about the change in temperature is that -6C/+20F actually feels cold now! When it was -15C/+7F, -6C felt nice and warm! Now however, it just feels cold, as I suppose       -6C probably should feel! On the plus side, -2C/28F feels fairly pleasant, and +2C/36F feels warm, especially in the sun! As a matter of fact, I just opened the window in my apartment, and as the breeze blew in, I thought to myself, "this feels quite mild, temperature wise." Then I looked at the thermometer and realized that it's only 0C/32F! How's that for acclimation?


How's this for a difference in scenery?
(click to enlarge)

1 comment:

Ab said...

My thoughts exactly! +32 F really does seem warm!