November 8, 2010

November Update

Well, here it is - November 2010 - almost one year since I arrived in Moscow. So much has happened that I don't even know where to begin... but I'll try to chronicle as much as possible over the next few weeks. To start off, here's a snapshot of the past year by numbers:
  • 9 types of transport taken
  • 6 Russian visas
  • 4 different roommates
  • 3 very different apartments
  • 2 trips to Kiev, Ukraine
  • 2 trips back home to America
  • 2 companies worked for (1 past, 1 current)
  • 1 trip to Saint Petersburg 
  • 1 Moscow Suburb visited
  • 1 Smogpocalypse (aka Moscow this summer) survived
  • hundreds of churches seen
  • thousands of pictures taken (I promise to post them once they're finally sorted!)
  • +40 C/104 F - the record breaking temperature in Moscow this summer
  • -26 C/ -15 F - the coldest day of the past winter
Right now, the weather is behaving much like it did when I arrived last November. It's cold, but tolerably so, grey, and rainy. We have had a few sunny days recently - yesterday was one of them actually, and it was gorgeous. Sun definitely becomes a precious commodity in the winter here in Moscow!

As for me now, I'm right where I want to be. I've got a great apartment in the center of the city, a great roommate, a great job, and life in general can be described as great! :D While this past year certainly had its share of trials and tribulations, the good far outweighed the bad, and I wouldn't change anything even if I could. Everything happens for a reason, and I'm pretty sure if things had gone differently for me in the past year, I wouldn't be where I am now. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

why are you in Moscow? what attracts vast numbers of Americans to Russia????? Once you have seen one church you have seen em all.

What I don't understand is you went back to the US, then went back to Moscow!!! WHY?!?!? WHY????

Anonymous said...

Are you the same NOMAD that is on redtape???

Ashira said...

To answer your questions, no, I'm not the same NOMAD who's on RedTape. And why did I come back to Moscow - well, that's simple - I love it here! :)

Anonymous said...

Don't understand why???? Sorry

jeff said...

I understand why - it's a Gorgeous city!

Ashira, please contact me asap - jeff (at) expatyourself.com

thank you,
-Jeff

Bonzo said...

I wondered what happened to you, the last I saw you were in St. Pete, then disappeared. I can attest to the fact that Moscow is a great city and no, not every church is the same here. I've been here for 8 years and love it. Good to see you back.
JD