November 28, 2009

McDonald's and still more moving stuff

It's so funny how a place I would never go to in the US is somewhere I find myself frequenting here :) Not for the food, of course - but for the free internet! The new apartment doesn't have internet yet - and the McD's is only a 10 minute walk from me!

The new apartment is spacious and clean - yeay! It's a HUGE improvement from my first place. However, it's a bit too spacious. My room has only a bed, a stool, a tiny desk, and a desk chair. Nothing else... as is nowhere to put my clothes! There's a wardrobe in the hallway, but I'm guessing I'm supposed to share that with my roomate, who I haven't met yet. Either way, there's nowhere for my small stuff, like socks and undergarments...

I was really hoping to not have to spend a ton of money here, but it's looking like I don't have a choice. My bed, while not poking me to death with springs like the last one, is about as soft as the floor. It's about as comfortable too. I tried folding my blanket and sleeping on that - but even that doesn't do much! So I'll definitely be buying a mattress pad from IKEA to fix that problem.

So far, I have to buy:a mattress pad

  • good blanket
  • duvet cover
  • sheets
  • a rug
  • cooking utensils
  • hangers
  • a set of shelves w/ drawers from IKEA for my clothes
  • pyrex dishes for baking
  • a water filter pitcher
And that's just the big stuff... oh how I wish to be settled in! Now I'm going through the IKEA website to try to find a few cheaper things... wish me luck :)

5 comments:

Bonzo said...

You should try and get you a Metro card, that store is like Sam's Club in the US and has so great inexpensive things, there are several Metro stores here, but you have to get a membership card just like Sam's Club, but its worth it. I even bought a Washing Machine there.
JD

The Expatresse said...

Those Brita filters are not enough for rendering tap water potable. Stick to bottled water for anything you consume.

irinapictures said...

I usually go to Auchan http://www.auchan.ru/ru/moscow to buy food and house stuff. I know they also have blankets, sheets, some furniture and the prices are good. Besides, there is shattle-bus to metro-station, which is great for no car like you. I suppose you need to settle down (and have internet!)before you have time to post in MoscowDailyPhoto blog, but please do not forget about it.
Please post here more often, first days/weeks are so difficult, I'll try to help or give advice.

katbat said...

gotta love ikea! - like McDs - a place I rarely went to back in the states, but dream about going to here! :-)

- English Dad In Moscow - said...

You will need nerves of steel to go an Ikea in Russia. Protect your chins and take a joint before you go!!! think calm !! its a living shopping hell!!